Sunday, January 18, 2004

'Hey buedy ...'

Good evening,

Sunday evening, dinner finished, tin lids in bed, Michelle in veg plot, Eric feeding piggy-wigs.

Time to reflect on the week.

It has been a week of preparations at work.

The K1 neddies travel to Karaka on Tuesday so all their gear goes ahead of them on Monday.

This means that I have 1 more day with my 3 K1 neddies, Sustaad, Watties & Real Success.

As you can imagine, after 5 months of working with them every day, I have become very attached
& will be sorry to see them go, especially Sussy & Watties. I am sure there will be tears shed.

I still haven't got foties so must try & rectify that in the next day. The problem is that they are
only without their covers when being groomed so it's tricky to get a good one.

I have been told I am responsible for the Stud for the week which Millie is away until I
travel up for the K1 sales.

I know it's only a week but on Friday I counted the neds to see how many I will have in
my care & the number frightened me.

It's 122 (you're laughing arent you Trudes & Cocky)

4 of the fillies who are due to be sold in Sydney at Easter were pointed out to me
by Millie the other day.

'You're looking at $50,000, $100,000, $150,000 & $300, 000 there in Aussie dollars' he said.

It's going to feel like a long week, I am sure.

'Fight for your right to paaaaaarty'

On Friday, we all headed off to the Prince Albert, ostensibly to celebrate Allie's 21st,
but also because it was the 1st time Kylie & I were due to have the same day off
together after a night on the lash.

Kylie was promising great things & she didn't disappoint.

At 2am, she sent the following text message to 20 or so of her friends.

Many of them copied it back to her the next day.

She gave me permission to duplicate it here.

'Hey buedy, i an pis7ed and nealy they up on m,y fqend luv u man'

The general gist of which is ...

'Hello old bean, I appear to be under the influence of alcohol & almost had
a nauseous attack whilst in the near proximity of my chum, fondest regards'

The 'fqend' in question was myself & only when I saw her cheeks swell,
whilst facing me, did I manhandle her, by the shoulders, to face away from
me. She did the decent thing & held onto her tequila but for a moment
our friendship was tested. Needless to say, I won't let her live it down.

I apologise to all the parents reading this, I am fully aware that it's crass & vulgar
to tell drinking stories. It won't happen again - honest. It was very funny though.

We had our works Xmas do, at the beginning of December & when anyone subsequently
asked me how it was, I told them that after 14 years of 'Job' do's, it was a lame disappointment.
There was no fighting, boogeying or snogging.

On Friday night there were all 3 & I think I can safely say I am only just starting to feel reasonable
after it. Tequila featured again, although I admit to missing some rounds (unintentionally) but
I was quite relieved the next day. I have had my, by now customary, whiplash, which always
worsens on day 2 after the tissues in my neck protest at the adjoining head being violently
flung around by someone who really is old enough to know better.

We danced to every single record, until some cheesy stuff emerged & even then Kylie
was game. I had to remind her that techno fans just don't do anything with less than
200 bpm !

The night ended in the good old traditional way, with large scale public disorder.

Some Kiwis had been baiting some Poms & a fight erupted. A Pom had smashed his
beer glass & a Maori guy (alledgedly) took it from him & ran amok. He severely
injured 4 people, including doorstaff before having it away on his toes.
He has been named & is now wanted for attempted murder.

I must point out (especially for Mx's & Bloo's benefit as they will hopefully be joining
me at the afore-mentioned hostelry) that this is in no way typical of an average night
out in NZ. Indeed, it's the 1st trouble I have seen in 8 months over here.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I have never personally seen ANY.

Those of us lucky enough not to be working on Saturday, spent the day, in the foetal
position on the couch, eating greasy food, swaddled in duvys, watching DVD's.
Only at about 2pm, did I feel up to driving home.

I arrived to find the Stokes were visiting, along with Juliet's folks Ann & Mike &
Kevin's mum, Valerie. In the pool were all 4 kids who were no noisier than usual
I am sure, it just seemed like it.

Michelle bellowed at them to 'Shut up because Carol has a hangover' which was
very perceptive of her because at that stage I don't think I had spoken.

After a tasty BBQ, to which I couldn't do justice, they all retired to the front paddock
to blast clays. As much as I love it, I had to decline as the thought of excessive
noise near my delicate, throbbing, water-melon sized head, made me want to weep.

I hid in the cottage, wincing with each salvo & resolving to never lay eyes on salt &
lemon again, unless they were laid on the table prior to dining.

I was in bed by 2030 & asleep within 5 minutes.

Impending visitors ...

In the next month or so, we are expecting Ma & Pa Smith (20th Feb) and Mx (Michelle Hudson)
& Bloobuoy (Stuart Reeves). I will be moving to the Stud, just prior to the Smiths so that
they can stay in the cottage & I am looking forward to meeting up with all 4.

Mx & Bloobuoy are friends of Stans, whom I feel I know, but have not actually met,
partly thru their travel blogs & partly from their forum entries.
They have both been far braver than I are doing a world tour,
they have 'done' the States & NZ is next on their list.

Mx loves neddies so that's easy, I will be able to show her around the Stud
& I read on Bloo's Blog that he loves 'Hooters' which I understand to be
the old fashioned horns on cars with the black, squeezy, rubber bulbs.

Luckily for Bloo, there is an antique motor museum nearby so I must
book a trip there. See Bloo, I will look after you.

Bill is headed Matamata way this week too, during his tour of North Island, whilst
his better half visits the olds in the UK. He is bringing his 2 boys, so the Tanners
have very kindly offered to babysit whilst we go out (they haven't really,
I just want to imagine their faces, when they read this bit).

Bill, if you're reading this, I have mailed you, just let us know whether to expect
you Tuesday or Wednesday. I will even break my weeknight embargo in your
honour if the Tanners don't mind watching the ankle-biters. How's that ?

Lastly, we had a call from the elusive Stinley this evening.
He arrives back tomorrow evening so doubtless we will be
bo.. I mean riveted by tales of diving derring do.

It's been very quiet without you Big Guy.

I think that's it, apart from to record the fact that I moved one step further down
the road of acceptance & farewell to old, but poignant memories this week.
11 months on & it's starting to get a little easier, which means you were
slightly out in your guestimate of 10 months Di, but only just :)

Coven, I know it's mean of me to keep you in suspense,
after my last mail & I promise you an update (2 actually) tomorrow, but for now it's time
for beesies.

Andy, Who is it that has sent me the foties of you on e-mail ?
I thought it was you at 1st.
Is it Lovely Col ?

Hadders, did you have a good night, where did you go & did you dance ALL night ?

Love you Mummie

Nite-nite,

Cx



No comments: