Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Hey Guys,

Just a quickie as it's past my bed-time & I have to be up early to catch a bus tomorrow.

Ugh - buses - common people. How I loathe etc (Weeny)



Bills manor



We went to see Bill & Linda's new house today. Massive hacienda-stylee drug baron's nest.
If they invite you say 'yes' just for the tv. Easily the size of your average Odeon.
I made friends with the gorgeous grey long-haired moggie in residence. I am suffering
serious aminal withdrawal symptoms.

After doing SkyTower today to fulfil my obligations as a tourist to Auckland
(well worth it, even on a grey day the view is stunning)



Auckland



Highlight was watching
7 grannies leaning on the glass with just their foreheads goading their friends saying 'Come on chickens'

After that I did a l/t in the station office at Auckland Central Police Station.



Clueless


Honest.

Or to be more accurate, I called in to see Bill in his Group 4 uniform & ended up staying chin-wagging for most of the day, listening to him apologise to the people of Kiwidom for not knowing his way around the crime-reporting system.

At grubtime (4M over here ?) we popped out for pizza & had a bit of fun playing 'follow-the-cop' doing silly traffic manoeuvres. It was one of those 'woah, where am I moments ?' when I was following him around the city & you think to yourself, 'Reality check' Me & Bill, 10,000 miles from home driving around Auckland to get pizza in a police car. Odd.

During our pizza we talked about life, love & all the stuff you normally only talk about when you have had too much vino collapso. That's one of the benefits of having bloke friends who are token chicks I suppose.

I had calls from Mal & Mike separately to tell me that they had got the bulldozer going (bugger - I really wanted to drive it !) & also that one of the old Redwoods nannies had come back on a temporary basis to look after the kids. Mal heard her telling the farrier that Trish was silly to let me go as she wouldn't find another nanny prepared to work so hard. That really cheered me up.

What didn't cheer me up was what Mike told me. He had gone to collect one of his boys from school & saw Genevieve standing outside on her own. He asked her what she was doing & she said 'Waiting for Carol' He had to remind her that I was not there anymore & it turned out that their new nanny, Sally, had forgotten to come & collect her. I felt really upset to think that Gen thought I had forgotten her.

It turns out that Trish has employed 3 people to replace me.

An old nanny to look after the kids.
Another girl to exercise the horses
And another lady to do the cleaning/cooking.

Which kind of underlines what I had been saying all along.

Oh well, on the upside, working on the farm did strange things to my body.

I turned over in bed the other morning to feel something hard underneath me (simmer down at the back) I looked to see what it was & it was my forearm. The last time I had muscles in my forearms was when I did a milk-round in 1990. I have lost 1/2 a stone & I have muscles in places I didn't know I had places.

I won't be the new Vin Diesel but it's the best I have felt in a long time. During this 3 days at the Lawrences I have felt lazy, unhealthy & downright fat so I am hoping the Tanners have got some large amounts of physical labour lined up for me.

On the job-front, Geoff e-mailed me today to say the Stud want to meet me (there's a sentence I don't type very often) & I need to arrange an interview this Thursday or Friday. I wasn't overly impressed with the area around Cambridge but he stresses it's a beautiful place to work so I will keep an open mind & go for a look-see.

On another front, Mal has a sheep contact way down in Dunedin in South Island. He thinks she may need a hand with lambing so that's another possibility on a back-boiler.

I am aware of the lack of foties, all I can say is that when I do down-load them, there are some corkers. Hopefully I can get them to the Blog when I get to the Tanners.

Must go for now, have to be up in less than 6 hours.

Night-night,

Cx


No comments: