Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Listen with Ludwig.

Location : Bedroom
Time : 2230
Scent : The Sanctuary’s Relaxing Oil in a burner
Soundtrack : Beethoven

I love to Blog at the end of the day knowing that all my chores for the next day are complete ; it brings me a sense of peace. All I have to do now is dry my rapidly curling hair.

I have spent the last couple of hours ironing 10 shirts whilst listening to music as Sharon does stuff on her computer for work. I relish the fact that we don’t have mindless noise in the background from an incessant, moronic squawk-box. I can’t truthfully say I always enjoy ironing but every once in a while the urge grabs me & I can stand utterly engrossed for a couple of hours, starching shirt upon shirt.

When I lived with Angie in Mange we came to the deal that we would do each other’s ironing, somehow it’s less weary that way.

Tonight has been the classics ; Elgar’s Cello Concerto, Bach’s Toccato, Adagio & Fugue & lastly Beethoven’s Symphony No 9 ‘Choral’ which you may know as ‘Ode to Joy’. Thoroughly rousing stuff. I am grateful to Mum for my appreciation of the latter, I could listen to it on repeat for hour after hour.

You don’t have to have children if you leave something of worth behind.

Blink and there go 2 more days off

Recipe ; 2 horses, 2 riders, 1 springer spaniel, lots of mud.
Agitate thoroughly. Result = 2 baths in 2 days for 1 very put upon dog.

‘Hannah’s in a foul mood’ I called prophetically to Kerry from my stable as I tried to tack her up yesterday, whilst she stamped in circles around her box, swishing her tail & grinding her teeth.

We set off at 1100 for a 2 hour hack which would take us up towards Walton Heath Golf Course. The protocol on the frightfully correct course is to give way on the 1st 4 holes, checking alternately left & right. If there is any play coming towards you, the idea is to stop your horse & wait to be waved through.

I suspect one would be marked down on the score card for galloping madly through all 4 holes, out of control, just managing to snatch glances left or right but with little or no chance of pulling a half-tonne of hormonal horse to a standstill. Thank you whoever for making all the tees be empty.

The last thing Kerry said to me as she looked over her shoulder at a trot was ‘How long is it through this course ?’ ‘About half a mile’ I replied, which was her cue to canter. Unfortunately I wasn’t quick enough off the mark & Hannah thought that as Kerry’s horse Patrick started to canter off, that she was to be abandoned. She promptly stuck her head between her knees & took off after his retreating form.

‘Sorrrrreeeeee’ I shouted pathetically to Kerry as we ploughed past her & headed for the horizon. Her response was a rapidly diminishing profanity.

Twice I thought I had managed to slow Hannah & twice I had to lie on her withers to avoid obstacles. Each time I lay down I’m sure I heard her say ‘Yeeha ! as she took my cue to go even faster. My legs were flapping on her side like badly furled sails & I didn’t dare think how Kerry must look as we threw big, black gobbets of mud behind us.

A long time later we finally both stopped, some 40 metres from the road we were due to cross. We looked at each other & giggled hysterically with the realisation that I was still aboard. ‘One – nil’ I said as Kerry just shook her head. I pulled so hard on the reins that my amber ring from Nelson market is now oval rather than circular. We’re going to the Downs on Saturday to do it all again. I’d avoid the area if you’re thinking of taking small children.

Barley has been wonderful company and as ever, I handed her back last night with a lump in my throat. There’s something very comforting about having her solid little form on my bed. It feels very different without her there.

‘Play the joker you w.anchor !’

Was Matt’s entreaty to me at the pub quiz last night. We were pretty sure on 15 out of 16 of our Australian picture faces but weren’t entirely convinced that we had Kerry Packer right. We should have trusted ourselves though & played the joker. We had all 16 correct & would have comfortably romped to victory & £30, rather than the 3rd place & £10. Milky’s Mum you would have been proud of me, not only was I able to identify Phar-Lap but also to tell anyone who cared to listen (none of them did) that his skellington was in the Te Papa Museum in Wellington. Well done us for going to see it.

One point of note, whilst ruminating upon a team name, our team Inspector seriously suggested ‘Kingston Killers - & he's in charge ?

2 more early turns to go, then out for a meal to celebrate the lovely Angie’s birthday on Friday. Neddy pestering during the day Saturday & Sunday & the possibility of some very loud dancing music on Saturday. We shall see,

Tune in for tomorrow’s exciting instalment when I plan to Blog about a watch.

Cx

Get well soon Andy. Please don’t leave me with him for much longer.

Hx, The contents of my bedside table are as follows :

A pale green lamp, a glass vase of purple & white tulips, a tiny black & white cat who reminds me of ‘Chester’ a small framed picture of an English country garden complete with lupins, aquilegia, foxgloves & wisteria, a small stoneware candle holder from Stan which proclaims ‘Carol – kind & romantic at heart, Blessed with a caring gift’ (quit sniggering, I like it) a card from my Mum and whichever book I am reading, currently ‘Silent Thunder – In the presence of elephants’ I can take a phot but can’t publish until ‘man comes’

And on that note …

Continuing thanks to Bloo who painstakingly publishes Blog for me, a few lines at a time from MSN. Bloo you will be glad to know I have arranged for ‘man come’ on Monday night. Hopefully ‘man come’ & ‘man fix’ if not man promises ‘no fix, no fee’ Hmmmm.

How I wish I had testes & understood computers.

No comments: