Thursday, November 06, 2003

Good Evening,

First things first.

Apologies for Strop-Blog yesterday.

The world hated me. I hated it.

I bought chocolate on the way home.

All is well today. Say no more.

As soon as I got home this evening, I soaked my poor peeties in a bucket of
scalding hot water & Dettol. We have covered a huge amount of miles today, walking
neddies back & forwards. If my back holds up I will be very fit come January.

Yesterday, we introduced the colts to the automatic horse-walker & today it was the
fillies turn. You've probably seen these things ? Large, circular, revolving arenas which exercise horses automatically. The one at Trelawney takes 8 horses at once.

It goes without saying, the horses are not keen to walk into this scary, steel
contraption & we were asked to accompany them into the walker to keep them calm.
Nobody wanted to imagine what would happen if they did not. There is no way to
escape the walker until you have completed a full revolution & reached the gate
you entered at.

Apart from the odd hissy fit, either entering or exiting, all the horses accepted it
admirably. It seems as long as they can see their mates, they are happy to do
what all the others do. I was asked to lead a large 10 yr old ex-racehorse called
'Trans-Siberian'. He is an old hand (hoof ?) at the walker & it gives the youngsters
confidence to see him waltzing on & off it.

Clare had a colt get away from her today, she has been fined the usual 6-pack.
Fines are also now being dished out for anyone seen entering a box without a
muck-fork & bucket in their hands at all times. I am interested to see how fines
will be enforced if anyone refuses to pay. That's the Tyke in me.

Today, I told Millie I had a dr's appointment at 10am on Monday. I asked him should I come in after my appointment or .... ? I left the 'or' hanging in the air, expecting him
to say the decent thing. Wrong. I was asked to come in at 06.30 as usual & then leave
for my appointment at 9 as Monday was going to be a very busy day.

He used that moment to pull everyone together to give us a pep talk, explaining that
things got serious as of Monday & that it was no more 'holiday camp'.

With 10-14 hours days & handling aminals who want nothing more than to trample
our puny bodies into the blood-soaked dust, I want my money back if this is a holiday
camp. And I speak as someone who has known real hardship. As kids, we were taken to Butlins, Bognor Regis on holiday. Weather warm but windy ...

Quick pause whilst I log off whilst Michelle rings home ...

(No Stan, she is in Wellington on a jolly, I mean, seminar)

At the end of the working day today, I found time to have an illicit cuddle with my
favourite filly, Fiddle-dee-Dee. She is such a sweetheart & always behaves impeccably
for me. We find out soon which yearlings we have to prepare for the sale in January. I am hoping, naturally, to get her. I am also hoping, equally as fervently, not to get a colt called Miss Paris. For the last 2 days whenever I enter his box for any reason he charges
me & tries to chew my face. Not my idea of fun.

The girls were on good form this evening. I was explaining to Alice about 'short man syndrome' & why Napoleon was punchy. I finished off by saying '& that's why
short men are punchy' 'Or jockeys ?' she added.

Harriette is doing a project on Joan of Arc & had to draw a picture of her being
burnt at the stake. 'Why is she smiling whilst being burnt alive ?' Alice
enquired. Sure enough, there is Joan, as portrayed by Harriette, beaming broadly
as the flames lick at her heels.

Her next picture depicts Joan leading her men into battle. Unfortunately, Harriette's chain-mail makes Joan look like she went into battle wearing a fishnet body-stocking.
It's an interesting concept though.

But, I will leave you with Harriette's best question to date. She is incredibly bright
& grasps difficult concepts with ease. She can also ask incredibly dim questions
like 'Where is the Melbourne Cup run ?'

I have tomorrow off as I am working nights so will relish a lie-in. A few bits & pieces
to do in town & a couple of hours of kip in the afternoon before work.

Turning in for now as I can't keep my eyes open.

Feet still hurt, even though I am sitting. Ow though.

Ma & Pa Smith. Thanks for the feedback to ease my rant.
Didn't get an e-mail about Bill Bryson, but do remember you
telling me that Matamata golf course was very hilly ?
The shorts are now better-travelled than some people !

Tony. Thanks for the explanation. I know the programme & can actually
see the resemblance. Shame they took down your sticker.
No sense of humour, some people. Soco sounds best bet.

Chef. Can't begin to compete with your globe-trotting antics but will
reply as soon as I am less zorsted. Your jet-lag must have been
something else. Glad you saw a game even if it was 2 also-rans.
Well done for 'liaison'. 10/10

Jeffwee's Mum Still owe you one, haven't forgotten.

Q - Garlic bread ????? Connect 4 ????? Love the shirt, especially in that pose.

For the person who e-mailed me today asking how to add comments ?

Just click on the words 'Q4A feedback for this entry' which appear in reverse video
at the end of each post, fill in the gaps & off you go. Easy, cheezy-peas.
I know it's probably obvious, but no comments from MPS terminals please.
Don't get yourselves in bother.

Night for now,

Cx

No comments: