Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Hello rabble,

It's 1937 which means it's way past my bedtime so I will keep this relatively
brief. I had a particulary early start this morning, 0600 as we were due a very
busy day. I feel permanently tired at the moment, although it's just physical,
not mental & no stress.

I was dragged by Straight Cut Jeans today, no damage done & still intact.
I didn't let him go. I live to fight another day.

Lily the filly & Mum moved to a big paddock today. Definitely the best
feel-good story at the Stud so far.

Clare continues to make good progress.
Her face is doing the yellows at the moment.

Kylie & I had to wash a foal's bottom this afternoon.
He is on antibiotics & the resulting orange motions have adhered
to his behind with the tenacity of dried on cornflakes to
the breakfast cutlery.

You lot would have wet yourselves if you had seen us.
The foal is all of 7 days old but has the most foul temper.
We had about 5 efforts at washing the little guy, giving Kylie's
back a rest between each one. Every time he was released
he turned his back, pinned his ears & kicked at Kylie for all
he was worth.

He looked so funny that I just laughed, completely unable to
help Kylie who kept saying

'He hates me, he really hates me'

His feet would probably have hurt if they had connected, but without
the co-ordination he just flailed at her. Thwarted at being able to kick,
he tried, furiously, to bite her, whilst she restrained him.

Luckily, it's just gums at this stage & we had a giggle about 'gums of doom'
& 'gums of mass destruction'. Not funny now I know but we had tears in
our eyes this afternoon. Perhaps it's just fatigue.

Kylie was wondering how she would tell her family that her worst injuries
had come, not from yearling colts, but from a week old foal.

We are going to the cinema in Hamilton tomorrow to see 'Seabiscuit',
a film about a racehorse. It's one of the 'against all odds' ilk, so doubtless
we'll both have a good blub. We plan on an early viewing & grabbing some
dinner in Hamilton. It will be good to have a proper chat, our conversations
at work are always snatched as its ... 'Not a holiday camp'

Next week, there is due to be our 1st parade for potential buyers.
Millie & Dean prepared for this today by leading out the colts in twos
around the very swish parade yard, in front of Brent's office.
This is to familiarise them with the area, otherwise the parade may
resemble a Wild West Show.

I am looking forward to the parade, as it will be my 1st taster of the
serious stuff. I don't know yet if I will be asked to lead, or if the guys will
be doing it.

I had a lovely e-mail from Mum today (hello Mum) telling me that she
watched the rugby & found the team's home-coming very touching.
Strange request I know, but if anyone has taped it, could you save it please ?
The Kiwis are ignoring the fact now that there has been a World Cup
& there has been no tv coverage of the team whatsoever.

It's lovely to have daily messages from Mum, now that she has e-mail.
I copy Blog to her daily as she is not connected to the Net. It's like
'talking' every day & I feel much happier & more relaxed now we are
'connected'.

Mum, in answer to your observation, yes, some of the colts do have
very girly names. They take their Mum's name until they are registered
with their racing name. I haven't had chance to try your suggestion
of addressing them by butch names to see if it helps them, but I will
bear it in mind.

I will leave you with a cheery remark made by Ellie tyesterday.
There is always a hunt for scissors & they are never found in the
same place twice. After using them yesterday, Trina told me to hide
them in a place that only I knew.

Ellie said this was a silly idea because if I was 'killed in a car crash
or by a colt, then no-one would know where the scissors were'.

Priorities ?

Eric has been very busy all this week, working on finishing off the
kitchen. He is currently finishing off the area around the beam & a
jolly good job he is making of it too.

Michelle has lots to keep her busy in the form of reports for work.
She is still 'at work' as I type this.

Heard from poor Hadders today that his time at VK is up & he is being
tenured elsewhere come February. He is very likely to find himself
at a 'priority borough' which essentially means somewhere 'not nice',
unlike Kingston. He is taking it with good grace but will be a loss to the
team.

He makes great tea.

Only joking Hadders, your ready smile is one of the best things about
D-team. You will fit in & be appreciated wherever you go.

Hopefully you will still be 'wunforefree'

Have to go & make my sarnies now, night all,

Cx

No comments: