Sunday, September 11, 2005

Let the stormy clouds chase …

Location ; Bedroom
Time commenced ; 2115
Listening to ; A play on Radio 4
Weather ; Raging, exotic thunderstorms


This entry is dedicated to The Lovely Ang, Trudes & Weeny, all of whom complained bitterly on Thursday night that ‘You never blog any more.’ I was especially moved by Weeny’s plaintive observation ‘Every morning I log on with my cup of tea … every morning …nothing’ Her despair was plain to see.

I feel buzzy & upbeat & don’t know whether to put it down to exercise endorphins or the lovely catch up call I just had with Mummeh.

On Thursday night I met up with the afore-mentioned lovelies for one of our all too infrequent girls nights out. The last time the 4 of us met was July 2004 for the barn dance – disgusting.

The evening was overdue and we had been prodded into action by Weeny’s good news that she had applied for and been accepted to become a SOCO (Scenes of Crimes Officer)

The evening almost didn’t happen (for me anyway) thanks to a stressful journey up & down the A1 to collect Henry from Rutland where he had been left for a holiday with the lovely people at Morcott Tyres after his brakes jammed on. The 2.5 journey became 3.5 either way & the angst was relieved only by the antics of The Milky Bar Kid who isn’t familiar with stress.

His way of enlivening traffic jams is to make sure we are being watched by the people in the car next to us. He then proceeds to yell silently at me, gesticulating wildly, his grimacing face inches away from my deadpan one. At the point that our neighbours are reaching for their mobiles to call Plod, he grabs me & smothers my face with dozens of passionately wet kisses. When asked why he likes to embarrass me thus his explanation was ‘I like to pretend we have a volatile relationship to entertain other drivers.’

Life is never dull.

I digress. Thursday night commenced in a promising fashion as I arrived at Trudy’s to be greeted in classic Trudy style ‘Would you like …?’ Indeed I would. You know you’re drinking something unusual when everyone else in the room holds their breath whilst you taste your beverage. After 2 glasses of gooseberry wine I was raring to go. We headed off for a gorgeous meal at ‘Joanna’s’. I can’t remember a meal I’ve enjoyed more in a long time. The service and conversation were equally good & they were putting chairs on tables when we regretfully left.

Once back at Trudy’s we were all growed up & retired only after drinking lots of water.

Sometimes the anticipation of a night out makes it difficult for the event to live up to expectations but I am pleased to report Thursday had all the ingredients for a perfect GNO. My sides hurt the next day.

There’s something infinitely rewarding about sharing your experiences with your best girl friends.

‘What’s wraaaaaaaaaaaaang with you ?’


Bedtime now – early turn tomorrow, this post to be finished tomorrow

Good evening again, Part II – Sunday evening.

I have just spent a rather satisfying evening ironing & starching a dozen work shirts. I know what you’re thinking & you’re right. Normally I dislike ironing too. The type of ironing I hate is when I’m in a rush & need to iron something to go out. I’m usually hot, sweaty & in a rush.

However, armed with a water spray, a tin of starch, a carton of coconut & pineapple juice & listening (yet again) to Bill Bryson’s ‘A walk in the woods’, & ironing is a different prospect. It was made even more enjoyable by watching my feathered friends.

I have been feeding the birds here for over a year & the lack of garden means I am reliant on feeders suspended from the window catches for my avian action. Recently, I have being visited by a very handsome black & red woodpecker. I never fail to be thrilled by his visits & remain motionless whilst he helps himself, with great élan to a single peanut per visit.

The birds which never fail to make me laugh are the greenfinches. They are the absolute opposite of the darting woodpecker. They perch their stout little bodies on the feeders, displaying a preference for sunflower hearts, and will proceed to feed for up to 5 minutes at a time. If challenged by another bird they simply open their beak towards the newcomer. I think this means ‘Sling your hook’ in bird language. What is most entertaining is their mannerisms whilst feeding. All the other birds continually look around them for predators. Not the greenfinches – who stare steadfastly into the flat as if assessing the décor. ‘Green cushions on a cream suite ?’ they seem to be thinking. If I appear whilst they are contemplating the interior of the flat they don’t disappear like all the other birds. They simply stare with casual insouciance & will actually move around the feeder to continue watching me. I don’t know what personal survival skills greenfinches are taught but I wouldn’t like to meet one in a dark alley. They must really know what they’re doing.

That’s it for now – still to come …Dominic impresses again at Twickenham, my holiday to The Lakes, and my visit to Rutland to see Malcolm & Justine.

I promise to blog twice weekly from now on, partly because I miss the structure of writing & partly because I’m being bullied.

For now, some updates …

Well done Milky whose worth has been rewarded by the chance to be trained to drive a jam sandwich quickly.

Congrats to Weeny on her successful SOCO application.

Hurrah for Stuart & Kerry. Stuart has done the decent thing & asked Kerry to marry him. Kerry has shown good taste in saying yes. They marry in November.

As per above for MTM & Piggy. Your PoA was superb.

Get well soon Turbo who snapped an Achilles tendon whilst under heavy fire disembarking a Black Hawk. Apparently.

Thanks Stan for holding the fort with Pearls & Swine. ‘Zeeba neighbour’ made me inhale my tea when I read it. Flippin’ well done on the Channels Course, I look forward to hearing your always distinctive tones on #3/4

More soon,

Cx

No comments: