Saturday, December 06, 2003

Good evening,

Haven't felt like writing for a while but thanks so much for all the e-mails
& text messages, they have been much appreciated.

I am a bit knackered tonight so this won't be a long one.

My Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer last Thursday & has to have a
mastectomy. The date of her op is the 11 Dec & she will have reconstructive
surgery at the same time to have a new breast.

As some of you will have been aware, she had been undergoing tests for some time
& we were both a bit concerned as each time a test result was due, it would be
delayed. This all started as she was re-called from a routine mammogram.

She has been terrific about the whole thing, very brave & very funny.

She has been buoying me up & telling me not to worry.

My initial disbelief gave way to rage, then sorrow.

After speaking with her, I am now starting to see things in a more positive light.
She sees it as a good thing that the mammogram did it's job & the doctors
were able to pinpoint the problem early.

Her take on losing a boob was that she would be on the look-out for a one-armed
man. I am so proud to be related to this woman.

I wasn't going to publish any of this on Blog, but again, she has been great,
telling me to publish away, as she knows it's my release valve whilst over here.
The more observant of you will have noticed she now has a pooter of her own
& has made it onto Q4A comments/feedback using the alias 'Mummie'

I can only assume her tongue was firmly in her cheek when she picked this
moniker as we have never been 'that kind' of family :)

Now that Mum has joined the Blogdom, could I ask that when you lot send on
funnies that you forward them to her too ? She will have oodles of time to
read them all when she is discharged from hospital. Please contact me & I
will let you know her e-mail address.

Discussions are under way as to whether I will be returning home for Xmas or
not. I will keep you posted.

That's all for tonight, will let you know what's been occurring lately over the
next couple of days.

Cx








No comments: