Monday, September 15, 2003

Hoorah for Dumb Pig.

I was welcomed back into the throng of workers today after my month off. I had one of those typical nights of sleep when you have to get up early for something important.

Awake at 0100, 0145, 0245, 0315 & 0540, checking the alarm clock each time. When the alarm clock finally did go off I managed to crick my neck turning it off which meant it hurt every time I used my right arm.

Imagine turning up for my 1st day explaining that I can't do anything too strenuous as I've pulled a muscle ? Not much scorn or derision there then.

I felt glad to be going back to work. It's not that I haven't enjoyed my lie-ins because I have & I don't really relish the 6-day week, 10 hour day job, but it's more a sense of being able to contribute towards the household financially.

The Tanners have said I can stay in my lovely cottage for a very reasonable rent & not have to live-in at Trelawney which is fantastic news.

Although I will still be helping around the place my working hours will have an impact on the amount of things I can get done so it's nice to know I can now be a paying guest.

So - what did I do today ?

1. Swept the barn.
2. Held a yearling whilst Trina tried to remove a bandage.
3. Made up some feeds. (about 50)
4. Sifted through 3 bags of horse-feed by hand to make sure it was safe to feed as the latest supplies have been turning up with shards of metal in them.
5. Cleaned out the stallion servicing barn.
6. Helped bring in one of 5 fillies which were due to be inspected by a potential buyer.
7. Groomed said filly.
8. Caught mare & foal & moved them from paddock to holding barn for vet inspection.
9. Cleaned & oiled leather straps on 6 NZ rugs.
10.Checked about 20 horses at the end of the day (it became a bit of a blur)
11. Fed about 30 horses (likewise numbers a blur)

Don't worry, I won't be telling you what I do every day like this but just wanted to give the likes of Cocky, Trudes & Mx an inkling of what I am doing.

Although it looks like a fair bit I can't say it was physically demanding like the farm-work was but at least I was on the move for most of the day.

The most nerve-wracking bit was checking the horses. With figures of $250,000 being mentioned in connection with these 1 & 2 yr olds it is quite a scary responsibility wondering if you have overlooked something.

I mentioned this to Trina (the head girl) & she was very reassuring & said I wouldn't be doing any checks alone for the 1st few weeks. She went on to say that if I had any doubts about anything I could always check with her.

The more I see of Trina the more impressed I am with her. When we tried to remove the bandage from the colt today I was holding his head & she was trying to remove the sticking plaster. Unfortunately for her, the veterinary nurse at the hospital had applied the plaster directly to the operation site on the hock. Normal practice would be the plaster would be applied over a gauze bandage to make the whole thing easier to remove.

The colt was quite good about the procedure until she was actually pulling his hairs out at which point he carted me around the box. She then tried a twitch (previously explained, who was paying attention ?) but he was too terrified to let her near.

At this point she left him completely alone saying that she would come back with one of the guys later when he had calmed down. I was impressed that she knew when he'd had enough & that she didn't feel the need to master the horse to impress me (as some others have done already)

All the girls were still suffering hang-overs from Saturday night. I think they are serious party animals & I don't for one moment think I'll be managing the champagne, tequila & 7am starts like they do.

Overall, today was quite a pleasant surprise. I went along with very low expectations & found that everybody today was friendly. It seems there are many power struggles going on & I am already getting a feel for who are the 'Blah-Blahs'

If I thought that my working life was to end there I would be considering things very carefully but for what it is, I am just going to sit back & see how things pan out.

One thing I am aware of is how much I am learning. If I hear anyone using a term I don't understand (frequently) I ask. No-one seems to mind explaining & I have learned lots already.

There are 2 more British girls due to start in the next few weeks so at least I won't be the new kid for long. I also introduced myself to the farm manager, Murray today. I told him to feel free to give me a shout if he needed a hand with anything. I hope he will.

He has some great dogs. One is a beautiful black labrador, 'Jackson' who was bred by some people I met at the weekend (about which, more later) Another is a very cheeky Jack Russell who hates getting wet called ...

wait for it ... 'Hadleigh'

(you're famous Hadders)

The staff there are :-

Brent - MD, (you already know about him)
Kevin - My boss, in charge yearlings
Andrew - In charge mares & foals
Dean - In charge stallion (Van Nistelrooy)
Trina - Head girl

Allie - Loud, friendly, been-there-done-that
Kirsty - Small (5'00") intense, punchy when drunk (apparently)
Chris - Large, gormless, plays on quads from what I have seen.
Me - In charge broom.

Murray - Farm manager
Steve - Groundsman

I will try & get some pics in the next couple of days to show you around but I am conscious that it's a commercial premises & it may not go down too well so I will play it by ear.


This weekend I accompanied the Tanners on a visit to their friends the Stokes' in Rangiriri which is about 90 mins North of here.

The Stokes', Kevin & Juliet & their girls Emma & Hannah moved out here 2 years ago. They have a couple of acres in a delightfully remote area & keep a couple of cows, chickens & as of this weekend 2 pigs.



Sweet n' Sour


Also resident are 2 beautiful labrador bitches, Bella (yellow) & Jazz (black).



View from the rear


I spent the weekend eating a lot, as foretold by Michelle, reading (2 James Herriott novels), sleeping (lie-ins til 9.30 both days) & watching 'East is East' (very enjoyable)

On Saturday we took all four dogs to the beach at Port Waikato, about a 40 min drive.



Port Waikato is quite bleak & forbidding but completely unspoiled & the dogs had a fantastic time chasing each other in the surf.

I missed Barley more than at any time on Saturday. She would have loved the beach.



Weathertop:AKA pORT WAIKATO
- Appears in The Fellowship of the Ring



Weathertop is the site of the remnants of the ancient watchtower, Amon Sûl. It is a major landmark in between Bree and Rivendell. Strider leads the Hobbits to the foot of Weathertop and then goes to scout around. Frodo falls asleep and awakens to discover that Merry, Pippin and Sam have started a small cooking fire. Frodo puts it out, but it's too late. The Nazgûl have seen the fire and close in. Frodo is stabbed by a Morgul blade before Strider returns and drives the Nazgûl off.




Bella knows how to relax


As ever when I am with kids for any length of time I marvel at how unselfish & accommodating parents are.

Something else which had me thinking over the weekend was how used you get to being 'a couple' Nothing was done or said by either couple to make me feel in the least bit unwelcome but I found myself thinking about it for the whole weekend.

The dynamics just happened to be 2 couples, 4 kids & me but it was almost as though I had a sticker on my head ... 'Freak' I wanted to explain to Kevin & Juliet that 'I have had boyfriends - honest'

I watched the other couples finishing each other's sentences, laughing, bickering, sharing in-jokes & felt very out of it.

It reminded me of what a girlfriend told me a few months ago. She had turned down an invitation to a dinner party explaining to me that although she loved all the people who were going to be there she just couldn't face an evening of being 'the odd one out' again.

I told her that her friends probably hadn't even noticed & it's only now I really 'get' what she means.

Enough introspection.

Light relief was provided in the time-honoured Kiwi tradition of 'Chase the pig' No - not a drinking game but what happened on Sunday when we noticed that one of the new pigs had escaped.

We were relaxing in the sunshine when the dogs set up an unholy din. Investigation revealed that one of the new weaners 'Sweet & Sour' had used a log to calmly step out of her pen & was now at liberty.

Even with 5 of us & Eric with a catching net it was no easy feat to capture her. I cannot imagine how long it would have taken had there not been guests on hand.



Stripy sunrise



After taking our leave of Rangiriri, we ate last night at 'Gengy's' a fabulous Mongolian restaurant in Hamilton. As much as you could eat for $20 per adult. The kids were charged a dollar per year. The food was gorgeous, although the pancakes for dessert were disappointing.

A cup of tea beckons now so I will sign off with a few messages.

Q - Hadn't logged on all weekend so got about 6 pages of Hawaiki in one go- bliss. Sent 704 & 705 last night.

Mum - Are you packed yet ? Envy you the sunshine,
starting to wonder if I'll dissolve in all this rain ?
Cuddled 2 6 day old blk lab pups on Sunday,
Mum was gorgeous & called 'Bronte' Neeeed one.

Turbo - It's as grown-up as you can get. Well done.

Trudes - Everything crossed for you. Mick Shellard - now
there IS a scary thought !

Weeny - Hope you are managing ok at Ma Duddy's ?
Just smile sweetly & think of orange-juice.

Di - Was it good ? Do you have a hangover ?
Did you have jelly & a 'ice-cream maaaaan'
Pics asap please.

Stu - Good luck with the course. Confuse the kitchen-
staff by stealing the pressure-cooker & ordering
vegetables !

Mx & Bloo - Wherever else you go, you must book your
final meal in NYC @ 'Maloney & Porcelli' on
East 50th Street. Not cheap but the best
food & service we found in over 2 weeks of
eating everywhere in Manhattan.
The Maine lobster is the must-have.

Cocky - What's it like now he goes to school every day ?
Silly thing is, I bet you miss the chaos don't
you ? Are the jumping lessons still going well ?

And a welcome to 2 more readers, Ma & Pa Smith, aka Michelle's folks who I understand have been Blogging since the 'Towering Inferno' saga.

I wonder how many people I have never met are reading this now ? Weird.

Finally, my team are night-duty at the moment so take care all of you, safe nights.

Excellent news of the week is 'she' didn't get the promotion. Let joy be unconfined :)

Cx


No comments: