Thursday, September 11, 2003

I wish to register a complaint.

When I came away it was with the understanding that normal life for my friends would cease. They were to don black veils & not speak in public except to say how much I was missed.



Fun was a definite no-no.

News reaches my ears that a certain Di Herrett plans a celebration of a birthday this Saturday. Not just any old birthday but a special one (I won't tell you which one but she's the last of my friends to reach this age-only a baybee) Not just any old party either but a fancy-dress party ! Knowing full-well I have never been to a fancy-dress party !!

Doubtless there will be alcohol, laughing & licentious behaviour.

I AM GUTTED !!

I now have to rely on Cocky's promised 'Bad-taste' fancy dress party when I return.

Have a lovely party Di & I hope you get lots of luvverly pressies - can't wait to see the pics.

The 2nd piece of shocking news is that a certain female at VK is applying for her EO's. It's enough to make me pack my suitcase & fly home. I had to breathe deeply into a paper bag when Andy txd me this morning.

All I have to say on the issue is 'Leave D team alone'



'Who's the Daddy ?'


I was feeling a bit sorry for myself last night. I had kept busy all day but at bedtime thoughts of NY & friends at home conspired to get me thinking.

I have decided I don't get home-sick as such, just people-sick. I then got to thinking about Roo & wishing I had her on my bed to give a cuddle. Dangerous ground.

The blue sky this morning has restored my spirits, typing this whilst Michelle feeds the animals & with Pachelbel's Canon quietly in the background.

A good result yesterday at the kids speech day yesterday. A 2nd for Alice who looked like she was going to faint when her name was read out & a 3rd for Harriette

Unfortunately, the pics I took aren't up to much thanks to a lady in front of me with a particularly large head, luckily Michelle got it on video.

Some of the kids speeches were very funny, I particularly enjoyed the one by Paige about mice. She didn't take a breath for 3 minutes & apparently she is like that all the time. Her parents must be knackered.

I feel very behind with kids names these days. Some I have heard over here already are Cushla, Kowan & Serena as well as the usual sprinklings of Brittanys, Jordans & Sugar Plum Fairies (ok I made the last one up)

A grim job beckoned for Eric yesterday afternoon. Having heard nothing from 'cowdown' he was obliged to put Gertie down the offal-hole.

She had been in situe for 48 hours & had blown-up as tight as a drum. I offered him a hand to drag her across the paddock up as far as the offal hole.

Unfortunately, all the cattle were grazing in the adjoining paddock, including Gertie's Mum, Ermintrude.

Eric put down some feed to try & keep Ermintrude distracted whilst we got on with moving Gertie.

She wouldn't fit down the hole so Eric had to puncture her chest cavity to release the gas. You can only begin to imagine the smell. Thank goodness it hasn't been warm here. I caught a couple of nostrils full & almost greeted my lunch again so I tried to move upwind & breathe through my mouth.

It didn't lessen the impact at all & the stench was so bad I could hardly blink as it dried my eyeballs.

Poor Eric had no such option & had to stand over the carcass pushing & shoving it into the hole.

I tried to stand in between Ermintrude & Eric as she was keen to see what he was doing.

Finally, Gertie disappeared & immediately Ermintrude rushed over to the concrete cover of the pit, alternately sniffing & lowing mournfully. I have no doubt she knew what was down there. Very sad.



In the meantime, the other calves stood together, not playing as usual but just looking at Ermintrude.




On the way back up to the house we came across Bin enjoying his bone



"Not short of a feed or two ..."



And I used the last couple of shots on the camera to capture some of the chocolate arums I mentioned the other day & some freesias growing well here.







This evening we are going to watch Waikato take on the leaders of the NPC league Otago. I feel torn as Otago is in the South Island & Waikato are now my local team. It's so much easier when Waikato play Auckland as no-one likes Auckland.

After the game we are going to friends of the Tanners for the weekend. Michelle did tell me where but I have forgotten already. She has already warned me 'it won't be a slimming weekend'

It will be my last entire weekend off probably until about April so I intend making the most of it.

If I can't Blog over the w/e then wish me luck for my 1st day on Monday & have a fantastic time on Saturday Di.

Cx

ps. You still haven't told me which film-star you are going as ?

No comments: