Wednesday, November 10, 2004

BIGGEST GANG IN THE WORLD

A good friend of mine describes being in the met (Police) as belonging to the biggest gang in the world.

The downside of that is the sometimes impersonal feel from working for such a large organisation.

Requests for time off for important reasons can appear overlooked in the general hurly burly of trying to provide enough officers to look after Londoners on busy weekends.

The upside of working for the Met is you have the opportunity to forge strong friendships with incredible people whilst doing very difficult work.

Occasionally, you can call upon these friendships & even if time has elapsed since you did what you did together, you know that when you parted & they said 'If I can do anything for you let me know' they meant it.

The last 24 hours has been a flurry of phone calls, testing those friendships, for another friend.

At one point we had Plan A, Plan B & a very magnanimous offer of a Plan C (I am proud of you)

This is getting complicated isn't it ?

Suffice it to say, I was expecting to have heard something by midday today.

At 3pm, I received a text from Stan with just two words 'Bad news' and my heart sank.

Before I could even reply to the text my phone rang.

'Bad news' he intoned, repeating the words.

'Go on' I said, trying to be mature.


'YOU HAVE TO PUT UP WITH MY DRUNKEN ANTICS FOR THREE DAYS - I'M GOING' !

he bellowed.

The scene is set, Mr Tanner arrives in England in a little under 24 hours, 2 other 'special guests' are en route.

Bring on Old Boys 2004 !

And as for working for the biggest gang in the world ? Today it feels just great.

Old Boys without Stan would have been like treacle sponge without the treacle.

Greta - your stage awaits - don't disappoint us !

Cx

ps Coven member - you rock :)

No comments: