Monday, November 29, 2004

Recipe for Baked Pom(me de terre)


Take one unfit Pom.

Add lashings of Kiwi midday sun.

No sunscreen (it's in the van that Murray took to work.)

No water, guess where the bottle is ? That's right, in the van.

Add a hard mountain bike ride up Teal Valley & simmer gently for 3 hours.



This is where I went.


Turn left from Murray's house & it's a 3 minute cycle ride.



This is what you can do




This is what you cant - oh well, can't have it all, I suppose.


This is what I saw ...












This is who came with me.


Self-pity & exhaustion prevented me from reaching the top of the valley,
so I don't know how far I got, except to say it was 90 minutes of hard riding
to get there & 15 minutes of no pedalling to get back.

Just at the point of the bridge outside Murray's I realised I no longer
had my camera with me. Bugger. Fully expecting Kaycee to wait where she was
I set off on the bike at a sprint, worried that if I'd dropped the camera on
the last kilometre or so of track that a car may squash it.

It was with absolute astonishment that I looked around at the gate to the
forest to see the stumpy one, legs-a-churning, trying to keep up with me.




'There's a voice, keeps on calling me...'



Luckily, I found the camera, undamaged, on the track about a 20 minute ride away.

To reward Kaycee for dragging her back & forth in the sun we dropped in at the
part of the stream she likes to dive for stones & we spent a very pleasant 20
minutes playing this ...



Then to dry off, we killed these ...



Pine cones are actually hedgehogs in disguise & must be dispatched without mercy.


As I finish this post, it's 1453 & there is a very fresh breeze, I can think
of at least one person who'll be itching to leave work & use it.

Cx

No comments: