Friday, November 26, 2004

Middle Earth, Wind & Fire






For Sharon


In a little over 2 days I have travelled from Middle Earth - Matamata
to Wind - Wellington, and finally onto Fire, in the form of Nelson ;
sunshine capital of New Zealand.

I know the fire link is a little tenuous but had I not used it then
my title wouldn't have worked & it's taken me all day to come up
with one.

As I type, Murray & Kaycee have gone to bed & I'm watching 'Cold Mountain.'
I'm as little concerned about Murray to be honest, he was walking stiffly
when I arrived & mentioned a cramp in his left leg. His ankles have almost
completely seized now & he is alternating sweats with chills.
I suspect it's some kind of virus. I told him it was a drastic way to get
out of the horse-riding trip I have threatened him with.
He teaches me kite-buggying, I teach him horse-riding, seems fair to me.

Just before he went to sleep, I asked if I could have the house if
he doesn't make it through the night. I promised to take care of Kaycee.
Seems like I might not need the axe after all.

The day started early at 0630 today with a shower, quick catch-up Blog,
breakfast then a trolley-ride into town with Milky's Mum. Unfortunately,
my plans went awry after that, for the Lynx which I thought I was travelling
on doesn't sail until December, so I had to cover 2.5kms in 20 minutes to book
on the Interislander 30 minutes before she sailed.

Luckily, I flagged down a passing cab, right about the time I had lost the
will to live in the most biting wind I have ever encountered.
I now know how Oates felt ...
'I'm going to look for the Interislander, I may be some time.'

I caught the ferry by the skin of my teeth & almost immediately wished
I hadn't.I've never known a crossing like it & was extremely grateful
that I'd only had toast at Milky's Mum's. She obviously knew something
I didn't as she commented 'It's probably wise' when I told her I was
only having toast.

I won't dwell on the crossing, partly cos I'm hard but mostly because 'humour
is only other people's misfortune' (copyright E.Tanner) & I'm not giving you
lot a good laugh. I did what I always do in times of hardship & emotional
distress & went to sleep, blocking out the retching sounds.

When I awoke it was to a slightly less turbulent crossing & 2 hours later
we coasted into a serene Marlborough Sounds, much to my relief.

The Kiwi next to me was talking to his friend on the phone ...

'She's a beautiful day in Picton' he said
'The Sounds are as flat as'

How good it is to hear those idioms again :)

The rough conditions added 35 minutes on our crossing & I fully expected
my 1255 bus to have long gone, as we disembarked at 1330.
I went to the InterCity Bus stand without much hope of them being
able to get me on a bus to Nelson that day, to have the girl on the
desk say 'They're waiting for you, that's your bus there.'

Sure enough there was my bus & all it's passengers & I didn't even
attract any filthy looks from the passengers who had waited 35 minutes
for the green person to board.

I've never enjoyed a coach journey as much.

Partly because we were on terra firma but mostly because we replicated
the fantastic drive I used to do in 'The Beast' from Seddon to Nelson.
After the biting wind in Welly, the sun splitting the sky was a very
welcome treat indeed.



What I did see from the bus. Purty.


The most poignant moment of the day was when a blind lady & her golden
retriever guide-dog boarded the bus at Blenheim. I always want to cry when I
see these partnerships & I hasten to add I don't mean from pity, but
just because I find their working relationship so tremendously dignified
& touching.

It struck me as a particularly cruel irony to be without sight in a country as
breathtakingly beautiful as this one.

We trundled into Nelson bus station some 30 minutes late & I immediately
recognised Murray, despite the beard which I had forgotten about.
Soon we were in the van & underway, chatting like old buddies & that's
kind of been the theme ever since, until he feigned illness to get to bed.



My first photo of Kaycee. This is kind of typical. She's too busy for photos.


We cleaned out the van, then took a stroll up the valley to watch Kaycee
dive for stones in the river. Murray's abode is even quiter & more beautiful
than the photos suggest. A busy little stream runs past the bottom of the



garden and the air is viscous with birdsong. I like it here.






Murray lives here.



We have talked ever since (with me trying to listen more than talk, since
Bridget saying I talk too much ;) ) & I remarked that it felt lilke I'd
been here for days not hours.

'That has to be a good sign doesn't it ?' asked Murray.

He's right.

Cx

No comments: