Friday, November 19, 2004

Home

Remember on one of my previous blogs I said the weather was like him upstairs hadn’t flicked the switch on ? Today he did us proud, in glorious Metro Goldwyn Mayer Technicolour.

Everything is so fresh & vivid here it’s hurting my eyes, thank goodness I brought my shades.

The excitement was at simmering level as I disembarked Singapore Airlines SQ285 at 1120 today.

Auckland airport looked clean and inviting and it was a lovely surprise to find not 1, but 3 Tanner ladies at the airport to greet me. I cried – of course.

From the moment the customs official wished me a pleasant stay, whilst making eye contact and
meaning it, today has been a day long seduction of my senses reminding me how much I adore this wonderful place.

The 2 hour drive back on deserted roads was a good way for us all to catch up on the news, mostly what happened at Old Boys. A quick stop in Matamata for Michelle to get some bits & I awaited her outside the Post Office, barefoot & daydreaming, relishing the heat of the pavement on the soles of my feet.

The noise as we arrived at Cedar Lodge was overwhelming. Birds chattered incessantly, lambs bleated, and piglets grunted. Complete sensory overload, and more green than your retina can deal with. I wanted to cry again.

5 minutes later & the girls were in the pool with Harri showing complete abandon & skinny-dipping. What parent wouldn’t want that for their kid ?

The heat has begun to have an effect already. After just an hour of sitting in the sun reading, I
experienced that tremendous feel-good glow of almost aphrodisiac proportions.

Had a long catch-up call with the Milkmaid (hellish fast worker, she tried to set me up on a date tomorrow !) She is coming over on Sunday after work so I finally get to meet her and we can have a good old gossip in person.

This evening Michelle & I took a tour of the farm. (I think this is where I was if you phoned then Bloo ?) We watered her veg plot, liberated a stupid ovine, petted Claire’s neddies, inspected the fruit trees, oohed & aahed over the piglets, examined the colostrum which has to be smelled to be believed, saw the new calves, checked out ‘Carol’, the calf who was born the 1st day I arrived at Cedar Lodge and took in the views.

Perfect.

A planned deck supper was scuppered by a freshening breeze but as I type this I have the customary G&T by my right hand.

A hot bubble bath awaits & a talking book.

I am very impressed with myself for staying awake all day today, as I landed at the airport at the equivalent of 2220 for me. As this goes to press I haven’t slept for 28 hours.

Eric arrives 0830 tomorrow local time, then Michelle can start to relax a little.

All is well.

Cx

Almost forgot, the lovely man at the airport stamped my passport for 6 months.

No comments: