Monday, October 27, 2003

Wasn't it the most incredible game ?

I am still absolutely buzzing from it.

Took me ages to get to sleep last night.

Didn't you feel every tackle & run every step with them ?

I think Samoa deserve an award for most entertaining side of the tournament.

The last time I enjoyed a game so much was the '91 final against Oz.

We lost that one, despite the talents of Andrew (sigh) Ackford (did I ever mention ...?)
Underwood (play on the wing for your country & fly jets, how damn sexy is that ?) &
of course, the irrepressible Skinner (did I ever mention ...?)

The game last night was entertaining, frustrating, exciting & everything that a good match should be. My phone was red-hot with dozens of texts in the 1st 10 minutes. I love it when we all sit down to watch a game together, the distance & the time difference just melt away & we could be sitting on the same sofa. I was really pleased that Samoa put up such an outstanding performance & after the 1st half they thoroughly deserved to have the lead they did.

I found myself thinking that if Samoa went on to win the game, England could have absolutely no complaints to lose to such a dynamic side.

I have felt a bit dispirited with the way England have played in the last 6 months. I know that sounds picky because we played well here on tour, beat the AB's & Aussies & have been favourites in the run up to the World Cup. However, having seen the way these Southern Hemisphere sides have played, it makes England look stodgy.

Yes, we win games, because we have crushing forwards & incredibly good discipline, conceding few penalties. I have been longing for England to play more open, passing, running rugby. Last night we actually played that way, in the 2nd half at least.

I was also glad when JW missed a couple & Johnson was penalised repeatedly for infringements. It would be sickening to win a World Cup & be told it was all off Wilkinsons boot. The most exciting aspect of the game, for me, was the speed of the Samoan tackling. Each time an England player received the ball, they had a fraction of a second to dispose of it, before they were skillfully tackled.

A thoroughly great match, worthy of a final.

The Ireland-v-Argentina game was incredibly frustrating to watch. I thought Ireland played the 1st half with all the intensity of a training session. They looked like they couldn't care less. It wasn't until their 22 O'Gara came on, yelling & screaming in his team-mates faces, that they seemed to realise they were in a World Cup. I thought their scrum-half was abysmal. I didn't see him make one decent move for the whole game. I hope for the team's sake he is ditched before they meet Australia.

Did you see the Argentine captain interviewed post-match ? I have never seen anyone so upset after a game. He looked like Bambi too.

The family returned this morning after what sounds like a busy weekend. Michelle is sun-burned on her thighs, which isn't funny, except that she nags me to wear sun-cream if I so much as wind down the car-window. Turns out she wasn't wearing ANY, as I was gleefully informed by the girls, the minute they exploded through the door. They all look tired but relaxed & have managed to bring back some banoffee pie. Hurrah !

Eric & Kevin went sea-fishing both days & left the population of marine-life exactly as they found it. Actually, that's not factual, Eric 'caught' an oyster. Eric thinks there are probably no fish in the sea off New Zealand.

Today is the 1st overcast day in 14 days & it's a bit of a shock. I have put on long trousers.

'I aint appy & I ain't avin it'

Harriette is waiting to get on the computer so I will leave you for now.

Just an observation before I go ...

England = Lions
Aus = Wallabies
S.Africa = Springboks
Arg = Pumas

so far, so good, all 'manly' & inspiring.

Japan = the Cherry Blossoms ?

I would refuse to play if I were Japanese.

Cx




No comments: