Sunday, June 01, 2003

Evenin' all.

This may be a short one to be finished later cos dinner is about to be served & I am ravishing.
Q - tried to look at Archives on Blog last night to look at some of my old ones & can only find 1 week's
worth of entry. Under archives is just a few lines written by your good self.
If I can't publish this & live in luxury for the rest of my life that means I will have to carry on working
for a living :(

Am I doing something wrong ? Ed - The archives are fine I hace checked them all panic not
Am I as bad as the 'girls in it' photo you sent ?
Please tell me which buttons to press.

I have just returned from Nelson which I found slightly disappointing.

Nelson, a town at the top of New Zealand's South Island.
Nelson is New Zealand's SUNSHINE CITY.
You'll see more of the sun here than anywhere else in the country.

The region has a wide range of things to do that cater for all tastes.
Fish in clean clear rivers and cook your own catch at home.
Swim, sunbathe, kayak on safe golden beaches, seas and rivers.
Enjoy a round of golf at our choice of golf courses.
Walk along Nelson's Maitai River and up to the centre of New Zealand.
Pass through The Queen's Gardens to the Suter Art Gallery,


I couldn't really tell you why but I think that cos Q was so impressed with it I had very high expectations.( Ed - I was there for market day , so it was very colourful )
It was a 2 hour drive to get there & upon arriving you see hills on your left & ocean on your right.
All hunky-dory so far.

Then things start to get messy because there is a large working dockyard, all ugly cranes & stuff.
(Lindsay-we will have to beg to differ here but dockyards are just not pretty. 'U.G.L.Y they aint got no alibi - they ugly')
The town, well, city actually, is much bigger than Blenheim, probably on a par with Guildford but without the
stunning architecture (Did you know Omen was filmed at Guildford cathedral)

I felt a bit disappointed when I saw the size of the place because in 2 weeks I have become a redneck.
The most disappointing thing about Nelson however is the church, although since returning, Trish has informed me it is a cathedral.
It certainly didn't look like one.
For an aetheist, I have a surprising affection for churches. I think whatever else they mean to a place they should always be beautifully designed. St Paul's Cathedral & the cathedral at Arundel are 2 such examples.
I can look at the inside of them for hours and expect to see ornate stonework & stained glass windows.

The place at Nelson looked like they had put scaffolding around the church, then removed the church & left the scaffolding.
(Q-do you have any foties of it 4 the readers ?)


Trafalgar St, Nelson City Catherdral


(ED Nelson this is where they lost 900 of my photos , but I will hunt some down - When is you camera work going online )
Some idiot had decided that this city, named after one of England's greatest heroes would benefit from an avant-garde eyesore ( Ed - It's Kiwiana M8 )resembling Kerplunk. I was not in the least mollified tosee it was flying the St.Georges Cross.

The church stands at least 200ft higher then street level so there's no geting away from it.
At every street corner you check to see it is still there & even when you're not looking at it you can feel it there behind you like that person you always imagine is sitting in the back seat of your car when you are driving down particularly spooky, unlit roads (or is that just me ?)

Anyway, it's just a personal thing - but I didn't like it.

In Nelson's favour were the shops.

I found a $2 store, the temptation to go in & ask 'How much' for everything was just as strong as it is over
here in Pound stores. I also found a shop called 'Plastic Box'
Did someone warn them I was coming ?
I managed to restrict myself to $22 worth of 8 interlocking, stacking tubs for all the neddies supplements.
At the moment they are stored in plastic bags which means the meesies come & help themselves every day.

I also found a music store & tired of 'No Parlez' & 'The Little River Band', was desperate for some new stock.
As usual there was Russell Watson, Charlotte Church & surprisingly Stephen Gateley (?)
However, in the used section I managed to find 'C & C music factory' which I bought for $5 just to hear one of my all time favourites 'Gonna make you sweat'. Also there, was a compilation album which along with dross by the Backstreet Boys & her of the pert derriere ( Ed - Who Doris Day ? ), had DaRude's - Sandstorm - excellent.

Q - I have been desperate to listen to some uplifting trance since arriving to see if it would complement the roads as well as I thought it would.
It does.

Stuart says he has sent me an aid parcel containing some ELO so soon my ears will be bathed in the glow of the finest band ever & I will be able to stop wummaging awound for dodgy cassettes.

At the risk of sounding presumptious (copyright D.Herrett)
If anyone else is considering ickle packages for their chum down under, Talk Talk ( Ed - Sorted courtesy of me )or Tears for Fears 'Sowing the Seeds'
( Ed - Sorted KW ) or Kate Bush 'Hounds of Love' ( Ed - Sorted KW )would be most welcome. (cassettes not cds pls)

I had driven The Beast all the way to Nelson in a kind of catatonic 80kmh stupor, transfixed by the countryside.
However, after inserting Sandstorm I discovered I still have the desire to burn rubber when the mood is right.
I kicked the Beast's ass & blasted past a few posey jeeps or ATV's as they are called here (all-terrain vehicles)
Just think how good that car would be if you could turn left as well as right.

As I overtook I bared my buttocks & shouted "You got the looks - but I got the litres baby !'
I didn't really - but it's a great image isn't it ?

Q - I discovered a track today which had me hooked from the 1st play, the cassette is still in the car but the band has something like 'Kapisi' 'Screems from the old plantation'
It's a real mish-mash of sounds & lyrics & all underpinned by a persistent strumming on something like a ukelele or similar. I loved it. Don't know whether you will ?
I will dig out the name of the band tomorrow.


King Kapisi - NZMusic.com
Biography
King Kapisi AKA Bill Urale has been banging out Hip-Hop for the last decade either in is first group ‘Gifted and Brown’ – as Bran Muffin MC .Gifted and Browns "So Much Soul" was featured on the ‘Once Were Warriors’ soundtrack which went to a worldwide audience. Since 1995 Bill has been performing in a solo capacity as King Kapisi.

King Kapisi’s debut single "Sub-Cranium Feeling" was released in 1998 and reached the number 8 spot in the NZ charts, remaining in the top 50 for twelve weeks.


I browsed around a couple of stationery shops today & as I walked into the 1st one I thought 'That music sounds familiar'
Yes - you're right, "Little River Band' aaaarrrggghhh.
To be fair, I chose to listen to it en route home today.
Something about that sound just suits the NZ countryside.

When I awoke this morning & was enjoying the peace before Lizzie started playing the piano at 8am I was thinking about being outdoors last night.
Something about it didn't seem quite right.
Then it struck me, there was no moon.
I asked Chris about it tonight, the way you do, kind of casually, in case it's a really stupid question ... 'Er, where's the moon ?'

He brought me a lunar calendar & explained that sometimes down here thay cannot see the moon at all.
Weird.
Our next full one is the 16th June & I am looking forward to seeing it again. I have missed it.

I will close by relating a 'sad but nice' aminal story - be warned.

Stuart was moving some of my stuff in storage around to make space in his garage & Barley-Marley was 'helping.' When he had finished he went to the house & found her on the bed with a black object.
At first, he was about to shoo her off, thinking it was a 'dead thing' Closer examination revealed she was sucking ... one of my black winter gloves.
All together now .... aaaah.

Off for an early 1, lots to do in the am, grooming horses, finding riding gear for 2 kids, loading 3 horses into the truck etc etc

G'night.

Cx

No comments: