Sunday, July 06, 2003

Hi guys,

I apologise in advance if this sounds immodest.

I was so impressed with myself today.

Another hunt, more near-death experiences.

For me, not the hare.

Jumped loads, back safe & sound in one piece.

Hurrah for me.

Was awoken this morning by Lizzie

'Carol - are you going hunting ?'

That was the 1st I knew of it, up until that point I was relaxing reading
a neddy novel. We had exactly 1 hour to catch 4 horses, load the truck &
get going.

The twins Vinny & Paddy are back from boarding school for the hols
& I was already wondering how hell for leather their hunting would be having
seen the way they tackle jumps at showjumping.

Never mind I thought, Innes & I can hang at the back & go through gates.

No such luck, Innes said he didn't fancy going as he thought it would be

'Too fast'

I seriously contemplated saying the same but by then Jess was on the truck
(& I'm not having the Kiwis thinking I'm a scaredy-cat Pom)

So, off we went & charged around for 4 hours through mud, swamp, tussocks, over barbed wire & all manner of scary stuff

(Cocky - you would be so surprised to see me, I don't even wear my body protector, same reason as before, don't want to let my country down, some of the fences today were over 3'6" )

Anyway - enough boasting, we all came back in one piece, all the neddies did too & I am totally & utterly emotianally drained.

I'll close with a comment from Zoe

'You did some nice jumps today'

As they say in my neck of the woods

'I'd go to t' foot of our strairs'

Tomorrow is Pony Club day hosted at our place.

Dozens of little kids & ponies all over & tantrums galore - no doubt.

Deep joy.

Cx

ps. Today for the 1st time I had to declare my true colours. Vinny was talking to me about God on the journey there & asked which specific religion I was. I told him I was an aetheist. What does that mean? he asked.

It means I don't believe in God or Heaven or any of the package.

'Aren't you scared of going to Hell ?' he asked.

I wanted to reply 'I'm looking after 6 kids - how much worse can it be?' but
I was very mature & said it held no fears for me because I didn't believe it.

He then asked what was the point of me living a good life if I didn't think I was going to Heaven at the end of it ? I replied that I wanted to live a good life for the here & now not based on what I might get at the end of it.

'Poor you' he said.

Kids - who'd 'ave 'em ?

No comments: