Friday, July 04, 2003

This morning I was walking Millie through the cattle yards when I saw a 2-tier truck arrive. I knew it must be one of the trucks which takes the cattle to 'The Works' This is not a Kiwi euphemism cos they are too tough for those. It's just what they call an abbatoir or slaughterhouse. Despite generally toughening-up about aminals I thought this morning that no money in the world would be enough to persuade me to be a slaughterman.

Even when our cattle are drenched or tested or weighed they become very upset when they are restrained. I cannot begin to imagine the scene in an abbatoir & could never become accustomed to it. Even watching the cattle leave this morning brought a lump to my throat. It is for this reason that I deliberately try not to notice even the numbers in their ear-tags. My way of dealing with it is to be happy in knowing what good care they receive whilst they are in Mike & Mal's care.

No comments: