Sunday, April 11, 2004

Eric of Matamata , NZ



1) Favourite colour -Black

2)Favourite movie - The Cruel Sea " Whatho, schnorkers!"

3) Favourite animal -'Gun'dogs or pigs, I'm not sure which

4) Favourite book - Basic butchery of stock and game

5) Favourite passage from Q4A (if you don't have one, lie) - The fire brigade one. I can't imagine why but it seemed such a good entry, if only it could have been someone elses property.

6) Favourite photo from Q4A (ditto) -



"Gwapple me Gwape Nuts"


7) Favourite smell - Fresh hay/the smell of fresh sea ie not stinking estuary type pongs

8) Most essential quality in a friend - Loyalty

9) Most desirable quality in a partner - I'll have to careful here, let me think some more!

10) Most embarrassing moment - Being caught with a neighbours daughter not quite in a compromised position.

12) Saddest memory - Getting rid of my faithfull Painty dog prior to leaving for the deep dark South.

13) Happiest memory - Birth of my daughters. (WHY!!!?)

14) Hero - Winston Churchill

15) Buried or cremated ? Where ? Why ? - Cremated and my ashes scattered at sea from Dover lifeboat. In fact, I am going to make a casket with a lead weight in it so that I sink in one piece if that makes sense! I did think of getting my ashes mailed to people all over the world and asking them to deposit them somewhere unusual but that has since been done by someone who pre deceased me! I'm still here!!




Mon 12th April
Location : Campsite, Hahei. Notes made in car

1273 km


We left the utilitarian & slightly depressing Coromandel campsite @ 0950 after a very good breakfast of bacon & eggs in town. We headed for Hot Water Beach & Cathedral Cove & stopped briefly at Whitianga where we both looked to buy books in a 2nd hand bookshop.

We left after being savaged by the owner’s over friendly white Labrador bitch. I had a couple of Gerald Durrell books & horrendous facial scars. Bloo bought Apollo 13 & said he couldn’t see my disfigurement.

We have just returned from a walk on Hot Water Beach. 2 hours either side of high tide you are supposed to be able to dig a hole in the sand, which fills with water naturally heated to 64 degrees. It doesn’t look promising today, but we have resolved to return tomorrow, hire shovels & give it a go.

Yesterday evening we watched Mrs Doubtfire at the campsite in Coromandel. Actually, I watched the film & Bloo played Jawbreaker on his palmtop. The only time Bloo does one thing at once is when he’s reading. The rest of the time he appears fidgety & restless. A dynamo harnessed to one of his limbs, would provide enough electricity to power a small village.

I had forgotten how very good Robin Williams was in this film & I love the fact that it avoids the clichéd ‘happy ever after’ obvious reconciliation ending. It also tells kids it’s ok to come from something other than the ‘Mum/Dad/2.4 & labrador’ set up.

After a slightly disappointing beginning in Thames & Coromandel, this area has come into it’s own in Hahei. Spectacularly blue skies, wincingly bright sunshine & very gusty winds will be what I recall.

We have decided to spend the day on the beach tomorrow, and we are unusually, staying 2 nights at Hahei. I am completely won over by this beautiful location for a campsite, Bloo seems less so.

Cx






No comments: