Saturday, April 17, 2004

Simon M UK

1) Favourite colour Yellow

2) Favourite movie The Glenn Miller Story

3) Favourite animal Rhinoceros

4) Favourite book The Three Musketeers - children's edition

5) Favourite passage from Q4A (if you don't have one, lie) what is Q4A?

6) Favourite photo from Q4A (ditto) still what is Q4A?

7) Favourite smell Manchester's Curry Mile

8) Most essential quality in a friend humour

9) Most desirable quality in a partner honesty

10) Most embarrassing moment booking a badminton court for 9 o'clock, then turning up at the wrong 9 o'clock

11) Proudest achievement my children

12) Saddest memory losing my mother

13) Happiest memory my daughter's first kick from within the womb

14) Hero King George VI

15) Buried or cremated ? Where ? Why ? Cremated, then my ashes spilled - anywhere, as I was very clumsy



Sat 17th April
Location : Taupo
From memory


Today we packed up early, met up with Adam & his guest Fleming & headed off for fly fishing. The day was perfect, unfortunately too perfect for fishing. Trout require stalking & the azure skies & clear water weren't improving our chances.

On the way to the venue, Adam made the point that people mistakenly think NZ's waters are thick with trout. He stressed it wasn't true & that to catch a trout, particularly a brown, in a river is viewed as a major achievement.

I think Bloo was a little frustrated by the lack of bites but I have always looked upon fishing as a reason to spend many hours quietly in the countryside. I saw my first kingsfisher in England at Gold Valley whilst carp-fishing & I use it more as an opportunity to watch wildlife than I do to catch fish.

Today was easily the most beautiful place I have fished. I asked Bloo if the same was true for him. With the guide, Adam listening, Bloo replied that lovely as it was, it wasn't as pretty as Basingstoke Canal. Adam looked suitably impressed. I hope he hasn't made a note to fish there if he is in England one day.

After changing position 3 times & taking lots of very flattering 'action' shots of Bloo we called it a day. I asked how many pictures he had taken of me to share with you lot ? He had taken this particularly gorgeous one of my in my neoprene waders. Restrain yourselves boys. And this action-packed one.
Oh well, I know I went & that's the main thing.

I have very much enjoyed all the water-based activities we have done over the past 9 days & I can't think of any other place on earth you should come to if you want to fish, kayak, sail, canoe or simply look at the water.

After our lunch of cheese & crackers overlooking the lake we headed for home & The Tanners.

It was probably my favourite drive during the year I have been away.

The usual ingredients by now, cloudless skies, quiet roads.

What made this drive different was the memories which popped, unbidden into my head as I recalled Michelle's conversation with me, the very 1st day I arrived in the Waikato.

She told me that her family were very fond of the Waikato & had felt they 'belonged' in a short time. I remember thinking I felt the same way about Blenheim & wasn't expecting to feel exactly as she does, 8 short months later. NZ is my home now. She pointed out the Hinuera stones & said if I was ever lost, I only had to tell people I lived 'near the stones' to find my way back again.

I looked at the last couple of ks of our journey through Bloo's eyes, trying to imagine how it looked to him. There's no doubt about it, they have chosen an achingly beautiful part of the world to raise their family.

And so, after 1190 ks my first ever road-trip is over. I am back where I started only 15 days ago. I have lots to say about the changes I have experienced whilst away.

I think I may wait for the UK & perspective though.

For now, the sun is shining, Eric & the kids are just home & I have a worrying amount of things to do, prior to leaving in 2 days. Michelle is doing a prison visit & Bloo has gone to do the black water rafting I did at Waitomo Caves. Hope he doesn't do anything stupid. I would miss it.

I rang Singapore Airlines this morning to confirm my flight. They could find no record of my details & when the lady finally came onto the line it was to scare the hell out of me by confirming I was flying from Christchurch.

They had no record of my call at the beginning of the month, changing it to Auckland. It has now been duly changed.

In the next 2 days I have to pack, clean out Bill's car (thanks again) & have lunch with Michelle. I don't have to have lunch but you know what I mean. I am also supposed to ride with Ellie, I think the riding may have to go, we'll see.

I need to say my goodbyes at the Stud as well.

Not relishing that bit, in some ways I hope Watties has already gone.

Enough for now,

Mind racing,

Tick tock, tick tock, I appear to be a passenger on a runaway train again.

Last time I was packing to fly, I was scared of the unknown.

This time I am scared by what I know.

Cx


No comments: